Honestly, is there anything better than a moist and juicy piece of chocolate cake with a creamy chocolate that is not only delicious but healthy and vegan, too? Well, I guess there isn’t – at least for me. Especially during this time of year, where it’s slowly getting colder and darker outside, the excitement for winter soul food is coming! This fantastic chocolate cake is definitely one of these amazing recipes that are super satisfying, chocolaty, moist and above all: super delicious.
The cake is made out of sweet potatoes, which makes the consistency super creamy and juicy. It’s sweetened only with natural sweeteners and also gluten-free.
Maybe it sounds a little weird at first, to replace flour with sweet potatoes but actually, it’s genius. The taste of the sweet potatoes in combination with the chocolate is like a mild, juicy, caramel and chocolate dream. The sweet potatoes give the cake a softer and smoother consistency and they also have significantly fewer carbohydrates than flour as well as much more vitamins and nutrients. A Superfood-Cake!
It surely is my favorite thing to bring to festive occasions, birthdays or family get-togethers. During Christmas season, I also like to add some gingerbread spice or cinnamon to the cake – mhmm .. so good! You can find more vegan recipes in my food category. 🙂
I’m super curious how you like the recipe. It’s really easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of know-how. Have fun baking!
- 600g sweet potato
- 100g grounded almonds or hazelnuts
- 100g buckwheat flour or grounded oats
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 15 Medjool dates
- 6 tbsp cacao
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 2 tbsp nutbutter (I use almond or cashew)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- First of all, you need to peel the sweet potatoes, quarter them and cook them in a pan until they're super soft an smooth
- Place the dates in a bowl and put boiling water on them to soften them a little
- When they're ready and beautifully soft, you place them in a bowl and process them with a fork until it looks like purre
- Now mix the maple syrup, cinnamon, the dates (without the water) and the cocoa until you get a smooth, chocolate mash
- Now add the ground almonds, the buckwheat flour (our grounded oats) and mix the mash until all is well combined
- Put the cake in a pre-greased form and bake for about 40-50 minutes at 180 degrees
- For the chocolate glaze you first need to heat the coconut oil until it becomes all clear and liquid
- Now add the nutbutter, cocoa and the maple syrup and mix until it becomes a well combined, chocolaty cream.
- Remove the glaze from the pot and pour it over your cake.
- Now you can either put it in the fridge so the glaze becomes a little harder, or you enjoy it immediately