Chia seeds earned their title as Superfood. Those little seeds definitely live up to their reputation. For example, they contain five times more calcium than milk and empower our immune system thanks to the high percentage of antioxidants. Originally they come from Mexico and South America. Already the Maja used them as an energizer. That is where chia got its name – “Chia” means “strength” in the language of the Majas. The seeds contain more vitamins, minerals and nutrients than any other product. Since they are pretty much tasteless, they are very easy to combine with other products, for example on top of your morning granola bowl, on top of your salad or in a smoothie. Further down you can find some recipes and I am already looking forward to your feedback! But first of all, I want to share some facts about chia seeds with you.
Health benefits of Chia seeds
- Chia seeds contain a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which have a positive effect on your body. They strengthen our muscles and help the body heal from infections. Especially with a vegan diet, chia seeds are a great and important source for omega-3 fatty acids. Non-vegetarians get those through salmon or other fish.
- Chia seeds may be tiny but they have a huge amount of important nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, zinc and iron.
- Chia seeds have a high content of fiber. These slow down the process of carbohydrates into sugar. This helps the body to prevent food cravings, gives us more energy and improves digestion. Furthermore, it keeps you full for a while, that’s why I love to add the seeds to my breakfast.
- Chia seeds have a lot of antioxidants in them. They boost our immune system and prevent us from getting a cold or other diseases. Since the amount of antioxidants are so high, you can store the seeds much longer than other ones. In fact, you can store them for 4-5 years without losing nutrients.
- Chia seeds are gluten-free and therefore, suitable for allergic people
- Chia seeds can absorb 12 times of their weight. This supports our electrolytes system and provides our body with enough fluids.
Chia seeds are a real all-rounder. They are also great to cool with. Since the little seeds can absorb water, they change into a gel-like consistency. That is perfect for Jelly Recipes, Pudding or Mousse. I collected my favorite Chia seeds recipes with you. My number one is the Avocado chocolate pudding, which is sooo delicious! You have to try!
I hope you liked this article and will try some of the chia recipes I showed you. Enjoy your day!